What happens in a garden coaching session?
A typical garden coaching session involves a one to two hour meeting to walk through your garden and discuss your needs, concerns, dreams and ideas. We'll talk together about your current abilities and skills as a gardener, how much time you can devote to your outdoor spaces and your budget. I'll take notes as we walk around as well as some photos of areas you want to work on. All clients will receive a written summary of the things we discussed together along with my ideas and recommendations. Below is a list of some of the services I offer to clients:
Garden Coaching and Consultation Services
- A walkthrough to identify existing plants and to learn more about how to maintain them.
- Guidance about what plants to keep or eliminate as well as what plants are appropriate for your site conditions.
- Suggestions and input about renovating an existing garden bed or border.
- Guidance about how to start and design a garden in a new site in your yard.
- Troubleshooting problem areas in your landscape.
- Help selecting and purchasing plants. This could involve a list of possibilities for a particular site or a shopping trip to a local nursery to choose plants together.
- Hands-on coaching for basic gardening tasks such as planting, weeding, edging and pruning.
- Help planning a raised-bed vegetable garden.
- Gardening ideas to attract birds.
- Low maintenance gardening ideas.
- A written plant inventory and maintenance plan.
- A seasonal to-do list for your garden.
- Follow-up research on a topic that came up during our visit together (a list of shade tolerant plants and shrubs or plants to use in hanging baskets and containers).
- Help designing and planting containers to beautify your yard or deck (for more detailed information on this service, go to the Personal Container Coaching tab under Services).
Garden Coaching Fees
- Initial garden consultations last one to two hours depending on your needs and budget (one hour minimum per visit). All clients will receive a written summary of the things we discussed together during this session along with my ideas and recommendations. This will be emailed within 2 weeks of our meeting (as my schedule permits).
- The hourly rate is $60/hour. A two-hour initial consultation costs $100. The hourly rate applies for any follow-up coaching sessions.
- No extra charges for any service within a radius of 25 miles of my home. Beyond this distance, there will be a charge of .58/mile.
- Payment is due at the time of consultation.
- I accept cash and check payments made out to Gardenwise of Central New York.